Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pasta with Vodka Sauce

Click for Full Size
This the Vodka Sauce from The Joy of Cooking.  It is probably one of the few recipes that I follow without changing anything at all.  I did use De Cecco Cavatappi instead of the traditional penne - but that's about it!  That said, the recipe's statement that basil is optional is totally false.  Basil is never optional.  The recipe is on page 328.  You do own the Joy of Cooking, don't you?  If not, the recipe is after the break. Go make it right now.


I know I said I haven't changed anything... but I do use lowfat milk (1 or 2% because I usually have that and don't have cream) and I use an immersion blender instead of chopping the tomatoes because I'm lazy.  But other than that... nothing.  And I'm sure it'd be better with cream.  ;)

Penne with Vodka Sauce (Joy Of Cooking)

3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 onion -- finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic -- finely minced
28 ounces canned whole plum tomatoes -- lightly drained
and chopped by hand or in a food processor
1/4 cup vodka
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup heavy cream
12 fresh basil leaves (optional) -- chopped
salt and black pepper -- to taste
6 quarts water
2 tablespoons salt
1 pound penne pasta

Heat butter or oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add: the onion and cook,
stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring,
until just starting to color, about 1 minute.

Stir in the coarsely chopped tomatoes, vodka and red pepper flake. Simmer
briskly for 10 minutes.

Stir in the cream. Heat through. Stir in the basil (if using), and season to
taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, bring water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add the salt. Add the
pasta and cook until tender but firm. Drain and remove to a large serving bowl.

Toss with the sauce and serve very hot. Grated cheese is not usually served with
this sauce.

1 comment:

  1. I'll even take basil over vodka. (Is that a Ouija Board intimation of Butler over VCU?)

    ReplyDelete